Thursday, April 24, 2014

Baptismal Promise and Grace

I felt out of sorts on Tuesday. It started while I was drinking my coffee and doing a crossword puzzle at the table next to the bowed window looking out on the backyard. It hit me that in just a very few days, I wouldn’t be able to look out this window anymore. The out of sorts feeling grew as I felt I couldn’t put together much of a coherent thought in an afternoon discussion with Jen and Nina. After going to reserving our storage space, I went home. I only wanted to curl up and take a nap, but finally I made myself go to the pool, but only because I knew I should.

I got into the water, and it felt like I was fighting against the water even though I had a lane to myself. Gradually, I gave myself over to the water, lengthening my strokes, allowing the very rhythm to calm my mind and my spirit. It seemed as if God was surrounding me with the waters of baptismal promise and grace, reminding me, reminding me, reminding me that God’s promise is sure and for always. It doesn’t depend on how I feel or where I live.

God, please keep reminding me of this in the days to come. My memory can fail so easily. Thank you that your memory is from before time, through now, and beyond all time. As my friend Steve says, “Grace is sufficient.”

Isaiah 49:15-16a

Can a woman forget her nursing child, or show no compassion for the child of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands.

No comments: