Thursday, April 3, 2014

Water Is My Element


I really love water. My parents discovered when I was nine months that I wanted to be in the lake, not on the pier. Since I had not had my typhoid shot they filled a galvanized washtub with water from my grandparents’ house and floated it in the lake with a very happy me in it. I began swimming lessons when I was three years old. I almost drowned in the deep end once but that never stopped me.

When I was in college I got back into the pool, honing my freestyle until it was as smooth as I could make it. My goal was to have an efficient stroke that did not raise a big splash. I swam umpteen laps with a kickboard, and umpteen more with a float between my legs to make my arms work harder. I learned to breathe with just a slight turn of my head to the side. I never did learn a racing turn.

This past Tuesday morning, I got into the pool and swam my entire ¾ mile without anyone else in the water. I was in heaven. I did not have to worry about sharing a lane with anyone. I did not have to contend with waves from anybody swimming in another lane. I felt as if I were one with the smooth water. Speed is not my overall goal. The water is one place where I can be at peace. Even though I have found I cannot do my intercessory prayers as I swim, I feel as though my whole swim is a prayer immersed in the waters of my baptism.

Is there a place where you can be as much at home, and in God’s presence? Offer that place and time in it as simply of prayer of presence with God. Every breath, every stroke is a prayer. No words are needed. Simply be with God.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances.

No comments: