Thursday, August 21, 2014

Trying to Avoid What Can't Be Avoided

I first heard Mitch Albom speak about his book Tuesdays with Morrie shortly after it was published in 1997. I was touched by the subject since it was about Albom’s conversations with his former professor Morrie Schwartz as the latter was suffering from ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease). I avoided reading the book for several years even though it was highly popular. It brought my father’s last months and his death from ALS too closely to mind for me.

When a colleague, Cheryl Simmons, was diagnosed with progressive bulbar palsy, it felt as though a scab was pulled off a wound. Across the Conference, and on Facebook, I watched, and prayed, as she bravely fought for every moment she could. When she gave away her piano and her car, I saw Daddy’s frustration and tears again as he knew he could no longer play golf.

I had some of the same feelings of avoidance over the last couple of weeks as Facebook has been overwhelmed with the “ALS Ice-bucket Challenge.” In reality, I hoped I would escape being “nominated” for the challenge, but that was not to be. I had to think about it long and hard. Don’t get me wrong. I am grateful for the funds being raised for research.

The reality is that each one of us will have to face a moment, either suddenly or perhaps slow in coming, when we will no longer have any control in this life, and we will have to say our goodbyes. And before we reach that moment, more likely than not, we will have had to face it with someone we love. Even those of us who deal with death and dying more than many others will sometimes try to avoid it, but sometimes it slaps us in the face like ice cold water.


[You can see what I decided to do here: my ALS Challenge]

United Church of Canada Creed’s final phrase:
“In life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with us. We are not alone. Thanks be to God.”


No comments: