Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lost in the Beauty

My soul cries out holy, holy
My heart is lost in your beauty
All hope is found in your mercy*

Wednesday night as I sat listening, amid all the standing--and jumping--to the music of the Rend Collective, I was caught by the phrase “My heart is lost in your beauty.” I remembered the image I had last week of Chip, Jeff and Elmer standing in awe and wonder in the glory of our God whose heart is the center of all creation. God is the center, and yet God also encompasses all of creation. How can God be both the very center and that which surrounds us all? All I can do is be lost in the beauty of God’s mercy, singing “holy, holy.”

The wedding banquet is a great image that Jesus uses for the kingdom of God. The problem is that we think of this banquet as somewhere off in the distant, far away future. The reality is that the kingdom of God is already among us. Eternity began the moment of Creation’s beginning. God has invited all of creation from the very beginning into relationship. God is both the host of the banquet, and yet God is the very feast itself.  How can God be host and feast? All I can do is be lost in the beauty of God’s mercy, singing “holy, holy.”


*Rend Collective, “Finally Free,” 2014.


Revelation 7:9

After this I looked, and there was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, robed in white, with palm branches in their hands.

No comments: