Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sabbath Rest

A few weeks ago when we dressed as our favorite super heroes I wore an Incredibles t-shirt for Elastigirl. She can stretch her body out to stop criminals in the act, to manage her three active kids all at once, and to glide them safely to earth from a plane about to be shot out of the sky. As a mom, a wife for many years, and a pastor, I have often felt as though I was contorting my life in order to manage so many tasks at once.

The reality is that I am not Elastigirl, nor am I Superwoman. Nor are you Superman or Superwoman. We may be incredibly active and effective, but in truth, we are finite human beings.

The beauty of the first Creation story in Genesis culminates in God taking a rest on the seventh day. Each day, God saw that the work was good, but the story reminds us that even God chose to rest. And when God gave the people those ten “words” on the tablets, they were indication of how we could best be in relationship with God, with each other, and with ourselves by honoring and respecting, by keeping boundaries, and by resting.

So this weekend, I am taking Sabbath time. I will have my computer with me because I have a paper I have to write, but I will not be using it to stay connected with everybody in the world. I am going to trust God, and in doing so, I will offer myself in prayer.


Genesis 2:1-3

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all their multitude. And on the seventh day God finished the work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all the work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all the work that he had done in creation.

No comments: