Thursday, September 8, 2016

Holding the Space

I sat in a room of strangers. At least, they were all strangers to me. I had not even seen their names until an hour before we sat down together. I felt a small sense of anxiety arise within me at the thought that I needed to engage in dialogue with them.

There is a tendency to think that extraverts are naturally at ease with others, but that is not always true, especially for me. You see, I am a shy extravert. I have never been particularly at ease with meeting strangers, or with small talk. There is a picture of me of our wedding reception where I am deep in a seemingly serious conversation. That was more comfortable than making chit chat.

Back to the room of strangers. I acknowledged the anxiety silently as I reminded myself that it was up to me to set the tone. This was not about me. This was about creating a space where over the next four semesters this group would become support for each other as they grew in their self-understanding as persons in ministry.

Maybe you too have a sense of anxiety as you approach strangers. I invite you to admit the anxiety, but don't let it defeat you. Don't let it hold you silent. Wherever you are, you are the host of this space within and around you. This is not about you. It's about creating a place where relationship can take place even if only for a brief moment. Take the opportunity to invite the other into this space knowing as you do so that Jesus is present as well.

Hebrews 13:2

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.

No comments: