Thursday, June 21, 2012

Memories Pressed Between the Pages of my Mind

Our VA Annual Conference begins tomorrow. We drove down to Roanoke today so we don't have to leave before the crack of dawn tomorrow.

For over twenty years, Jeff and I went to Annual Conference together. I loved gathering with friends and colleagues. He did to some degree though he wanted much more time alone. Ever since he "retired" eleven years ago, I had come alone. That was hard enough. Last year was the first year I have ever missed attending. Jeff was in the final stages of his bout with cancer.

For those nine years I would call to let him know that I got to Conference safely. Tonight, I was especially mindful that there was no one at home to call. I talked to my brother instead.

Max is here with me. He wanted to come. He has his own room. As I was going to his room for our prayers, I saw a friend--the spouse of a clergywomen. I told Max I would be back soon, and went to talk with Tammy and David.

Tomorrow night, we will have the Memorial Service when we will remember all the clergy and their spouses who have died since the last Annual Conference. Jeff's name will be read. Max will be sitting with me.

When I got back to my room after our prayer time, that old song came back to me: "memories pressed between the pages of my mind." Feeling tender here tonight.

No comments: