Thursday, August 9, 2007

Finding the Pulse

When I work out at Curves, every 7-1/2 minutes, we're supposed to stop and take our pulse. Sometimes I can find it, sometimes not. Even when I find it, I often have trouble counting it with the beat of the music going on or the rhythmic sound of someone still working out.

Coming back to church after being gone for only 14 days, I feel like I'm trying to find the pulse beat. Of course, in the summertime, the pulse can be a bit erratic anyway with folks in & out. It's as though my heart is singing: "Summertime, and the livin' is easy..." But my head starts running ahead with all the details for getting the fall activities underway. I look at the difference on the church's online calendar. Each Sunday in August has two events: the worship services. Beginning with the second Sunday in September, each Sunday has 6-8 events, and that's before we get everything planned out.

It's good that there's an ebb and flow in the rhythm of church life. Even Jesus followed a rhythm of engagement and disengagement, of activity and of contemplation. I guess that my longing is to find a steady heart beat where the ebb and flow are not quite so drastic, and that can only truly happen by allowing my heart to find its rhythm within the heartbeat of God. It just seems that so many things get in the way of truly finding or living in that beat.

No comments: