Thursday, January 20, 2011

Good Thing/Bad Thing


Several years ago, we started doing a recap of our day by lifting up one good thing, and one bad or not-so-good thing. Sometimes we try to sneak by with an “oh, it was all good, or okay,” but on the whole we try to honor it. This practice helps us put voice to our experiences. It helps us to clarify them.

Usually the good thing is fairly simple and straightforward. I confess that I don’t always put a whole lot of detail into the not-so-good thing in particular. I don’t think an adolescent should have to deal with all the worries of an adult, but I do think it is good for them to be aware that adults deal with worries. I do sometimes bring up something where “I blew it.” I’m not perfect, and sometimes I cause the not-so-good thing. I need to be honest and admit it.

This practice is akin to a spiritual discipline called Examination of Conscience. Where have I loved as Christ loves? Where have I not acted in a loving way? Where have I heard God in the moments of the day? Where have I shut my ears, and my heart? Where have I seen Christ in the least of these? Where have I averted my eyes?

Good thing today? I witnessed students really wrestle with a tough predicament in one’s internship and heard as they offered genuine wisdom and insight.

Not-so-good thing today? I’m getting bogged down in details that fog my vision and make it difficult for me to see and hope clearly.

Really good thing? That even on days when I blow it, or find hope difficult, God meets me in the moments of my days, and holds me in the darkness of night, offering me healing grace.


Psalm 63:5-7
My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips when I think of you on my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

We did a similar thing in our high school girls small group - called it highs and lows. It gave the girls a way to celebrate together and pray for each other.