Thursday, September 8, 2011

Though the Mountain Should Shake


Today, I sat in the Colloquy I co-teach with Dr. Beverly Mitchell at Wesley Theological Seminary and listened as she read Psalm 46 aloud. “though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult.”
As she read images passed through my mind: all the pictures from 9/11/01; the earthquake; Hurricane Irene; Tropical Storm Lee; the Texas drought and now wildfires; and closer to home, in a very real sense, losing Jeff from our daily lives.
I confess that I too can get caught up in the anxiety of this age as I hear the relentless beat of the drums. It merely magnifies some of what I already experience. And so I pause to listen for a deeper beat, a beat that is the heartbeat of our God who is the Source and the Promise of all Creation, the One whose Love began it all, redeems it all, and calls it all toward fulfillment.
In the midst of all the upheaval, when the waters rise and the towers fall, there is a strong awareness that God is deeper than the deepest bedrock. The God I believe in is not simply a God of the gaps to explain what I don’t yet understand. It is to this Rock I cling.


Psalm 46: 1-2a
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear.

No comments: