Thursday, February 16, 2012

((Sighs))



((Sigh)) I evidently have a tendency to sigh, according to my boys. Actually, I know I do. Different sighs can mean different things—exasperation, wonder, exhaustion, questioning, and more. And, of course, a sigh can mean nothing more than an expelling of breath, especially if I have been holding it for some reason or none at all.

Andrew Greeley, author of several novels that I really enjoyed, writing about people of Irish heritage would describe someone’s sighs as sounding like they were on the verge of death. I don’t think mine sound that bad, but they can definitely elicit groans or concern from my sons.

Right now, I think my sighs come more from tiredness as the radiation treatments have sapped my stamina, though I do still feel as if I am holding my breath, waiting. The question is am I waiting for the other shoe to drop or am I waiting in hopeful expectation.

These images from Scripture help me: God shaped me from the dust of the earth and breathed life into me; and then the risen Jesus breathed on the disciples, saying, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”

Even when I don’t know what my sighs mean, God does for God’s Spirit takes them and turns them into prayer.

May my ((sighs)) move beyond exasperation and exhaustion to wonder and being filled with God’s holy breath.

Romans 8.26:
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! This is one of my favorite passages. There are so many times when I want to pra
Esq.,y and do not quite know what to ask or express to God. This passage has helped me in knowing that that the Holy Spirit can take those pleas of the heart and place them before God. What a comfort.
Prayers for you as you continue your treatments. Susan