Thursday, April 12, 2012

When Joy Feels Far Away


There are times in life when joy feels good and bouncy, when all seems right with the world, and everything just purrs along. Then there are times when things don’t just purr along, and things seem off at least a notch or two. When the time is purring, praise songs come so naturally. It’s easy to given thanks. It’s not so easy at other times.
We’ve just celebrated the Resurrection in a really glorious way together. And deep in my spirit the joy resounds, but at times it’s hard to know it nearer the surface. Today, I was suddenly caught by memory and felt very raw. At moments like that, I don’t feel joyful. What I can give thanks for in moments like this is that the joy of Resurrection is real and doesn’t depend on how I feel at any particular moment.
In the midst of it all, I heard from two friends connecting out of the blue from other times and places in my life. It’s important to remember that I am not alone in this journey. Friends and companions along the way help remind me of that. In some way, they are the voice of Jesus calling my name.

John 20:16, 18
Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to him in Hebrew, “Rabbouni!”… Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord.”

No comments: