Thursday, May 31, 2012

Too Many Tools


This past week has been an incredible time of getting things in order. Jeff’s brother Denny and his wife Jill spent the week with us, using their wonderful gifts of organizing, repairing and installing. They were able to make sense and order of a chaos that overwhelmed, and depressed, me. As Denny sorted all the tools, he commented on how many there are. He’s right. We had tools that were original to us, tools that were given to Jeff by the widow of a man Jeff visited and buried as a pastor, tools that had come from my parents, and tools that had come from Jeff’s dad. Can you say, “too many tools”? There are so many that I had no way of knowing what was in the inventory. Now, thanks to Denny and Jill, they are organized and stored in such a way that I can see them and decide which ones I need to keep and which ones can be given away.

Jeff used to say I was “paper challenged.” I become overwhelmed when there are too many things to sort. Details are not my strongest point, and yet managing a house, a family, a church all require paying attention to details. I am becoming more and more aware that I long for simplicity, and fewer things to manage. It is so hard to face all of it, and know what is really important.

I know that I wouldn’t really be comfortable living a monastic life style, but there are moments I long for the simplicity and order. I long for more “Mary” moments in my “Martha” life.


Luke 10:41-42
But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”

No comments: