Thursday, July 5, 2012

Higher Power


WOW! What a week we have had so far: the heat, the storm, the damage, the lack of power for so many! I went to bed last Friday night listening to the wind roaring through the trees. I awoke on Saturday to find so many branches of our trees on the ground, though not on the house. Thank goodness I had all the trees cleaned of dead and dying branches back in October.

On Sunday, we had a wonderful outdoor worship service since we had no power and thus no AC in the building. Several folks commented that it was like an old-time Methodist camp meeting. A photographer for the Washington Times, out taking pictures of the damage in the area, saw us gathering and took pictures. One was printed in the paper with the heading “Higher Power.”

We have come to rely on so many things that require power, not just for cooking and heating and cooling, but for our very entertainment. How easily bored we become when we can’t watch TV, play games on our devices, and surf the net. All those things can become distractions that keep us from connecting with the ultimate source of power.

As I watched the Falls Church fireworks display, I could feel the power of the explosions in my body. Oh, that I would be so aware of the power of God’s Spirit within me. It is this power that seeks to sustain me in the midst of difficulty and loss, as well as in times of ease and joy.

Jeremiah 51:16
When he utters his voice there is a tumult of waters in the heavens, and he makes the mist rise from the ends of the earth. He makes lightnings for the rain, and he brings out the wind from his storehouses.

No comments: