Thursday, August 9, 2012

Finding My Own Rhythm


Finding my own rhythm has been an interesting process over the past year, and it is not really complete by any means. When a part of a couple, it was appropriate to make adjustments or modifications in my pace. The best image I have of that is of walking closely side by side with Jeff. If we each walked truly at our own gait, each one’s arms swinging with our own rhythm, we would tend to bump into each other. It was far more comfortable to match our walk to the other.

This happens not only in walking style, but also in diurnal/nocturnal rhythms, in entertaining patterns, in sharing household chores, and so many other areas. After many years, it can then be hard in some places to know what is my own natural style or rhythm and what was Jeff’s.

During our time on Ocracoke last week, Max and I lived by our own schedule. While not an entirely new revelation, the differences were interesting. When there with Jeff, we lived on a different timetable. Part of that was developed from the years we camped with no electricity, when we rose with the sun. Part of it came also from matching my pace to Jeff’s. We tended to get up and going early, arriving at the beach shortly after eight o’clock. We left the beach by eleven, washing up before lunch, spending the afternoon reading and walking around town. This year, Max and I didn’t make it to the beach before eleven any day. Sometimes it was afternoon before we made it. We stayed up later and woke somewhat later.

The revelation for me in all this is to learn what my own rhythm is, and to reflect on how do I walk and live by it. Then the next reflection for me is how does that pattern mesh with God’s heartbeat. Do I stubbornly keep to my own gait and style or begin to pattern my pace and life to walk in tandem with Christ? What does that look like? What difference does it make in my life?

Matthew 11:29-30
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

No comments: