Thursday, September 12, 2013

Surrounded by Grace


Hezekiah 3:16—“God helps those who help themselves.”

I vacillate between not wanting to be a burden and knowing that others want to offer aid. I generally choose the former route. It’s not that I’m trying to be a supermom/pastor/person, but that I’m trying not to impose on anyone. Okay, I will also admit that I do not like looking weak or incompetent. Over the last several weeks, I have had to admit once again that I cannot do it alone. If it weren’t for those around me, I would fall on my face time and again. The closer I get to 60, the more I know I need others.

I could make a long list of those who have made it possible for me to keep going, and who have reminded me that I don’t have to always keep going. Some of those are family like my wonderful sister-in-law Barbara. Some are staff like Jen and Kate. Some are lay leaders like Judy Brown and Cathy Tong. Some are the terrific staff at the Wound Care Center at Virginia Hospital Center. So this week, my note comes a little late as I recover from outpatient surgery. I am grateful that God’s grace comes so much more abundantly than I can ever imagine. Whether in the midst of calm or storm, I am surrounded by our loving God who works through human vessels.

[BTW, if you have been trying to find the book of Hezekiah in the Bible, you won’t be able to find it. While Hezekiah was a king, there is no such book. It makes a great citation though for famous phrases that surely must be in the Bible somewhere, but aren’t. The quote above is actually from Benjamin Franklin. For other Hezekiah citations, see this list.] 


Galatians 6:2
Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

No comments: