Thursday, October 17, 2013

Lex orandi, lex credendi, est



Lex orandi, lex credendi, est
As we pray, so we believe.

On Monday afternoon, I just about lost it. I read another really stupid, snide remark about who was responsible for the mess our nation was in. I was alone, outside, and granted I was coming down with the cold I inherited from Max, but I had an angry outburst. Then I apologized to God’s Spirit. I didn’t blaspheme by any means, but the world doesn’t need more negativity being pumped out there.

On Tuesday, a keynote speaker shared the phrase above. I believe this. The prayers we offer shape what we believe, just as the songs we sing shape what we believe. When our prayers become turned inward, so does our belief. Our spirit stops reaching out to include others. When we curse someone, our imprecation tamps that much more dirt onto them, adding that much more hatred in the world. When we bless someone, our blessing allows grace to flow from God through us to them, and we increase the Kindom of God just a bit more.

Last night, I watched as the final votes in the House of Representatives were cast. I was reminded what Jen said at our midweek prayer time this morning. In the midst of all the anxiety, she knew she had to pray for all involved—not praying by choosing a side, but for all. As we pray, so we believe. I wish I could say I prayed for each Representative casting a vote. Really, I was almost holding my breath, but now I do pray for each of them. And I continue holding each person who has been affected by this uncertainty, especially for my people who have been on furlough, and those who have been working without pay.

I still believe that my hope, our hope is in our God who is immensely bigger than any of this. I will offer this prayer up each day of the next four months and beyond: O God in whom we live, and move and have our being, cast your vision for us and may we find our hope in you. In your holy Triune name, trusting in your saving grace, and your transforming power, we pray. Amen.


Revelation 21:6-7
Then he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life. Those who conquer will inherit these things, and I will be their God and they will be my children.

No comments: