Thursday, June 12, 2014

Simply Balanced

What would it be like no longer to play the hero or the heroine, no longer buying the definitions of success that our world hands us? What would it be long to live simply with a balance of work, of love, of play, of serving? Sometimes we are brought to that necessity by the limitations of our body, of our health.

Sometimes the definition of salvation simply needs to be liberation—being set free from the things of this world that would bind us, that would keep us from truly being able to “walk in beauty” as the Navajo people would say. One woman this week told me that she has been forced to come to this point because of weakness and illness in her body. This is what has really been at the grounding point of my decision to sell the house and rent an apartment. I only have so much energy and ability to focus. Where and how do I most want to spend these precious gifts? For some, their balance is found in maintaining a house and yard. For me, it wasn’t. I want to find joy in worship and serving, in friends and companions.

Psalm 131
O Lord, my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me. O (insert your name), hope in the Lord from this time on and forevermore.

No comments: