Thursday, May 21, 2015

Oh, Yes! Oh, No!

Thank goodness we are all different, unique individuals. I know this but it was reinforced recently. I have worked with the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) for thirty years. When I first was introduced to it, I was reluctant. I do not like being boxed in by anyone and it seemed to me that was exactly what it would do. I also, believe it or not, do not like to make undue waves, so when the clergy book study group decided to do it, I went along. The last question asked about wanting to argue with some of the other questions on the indicator. Of course, I selected “yes.”
When we as a group had a workshop with a qualified MBTI interpreter and received our results, it was such a release for me. I had always known that I was different than almost everybody else, at least everybody in my family and most folks I knew. What I discovered is that indeed I am a very different type than others in my family. In fact, out of every one hundred people, there are only three others like me. I found out that I was not crazy after all. While I am different than most people, I have a lot of similarities with a few others. That discovery was a freeing moment for me.
The recent reinforcement came in the form of an article on the internet. It summarized what might be hell[1] for each of the sixteen MBTI types. My hell would be, it said, to have every moment of my life from here on out scheduled for me by someone else, and it would be filled with arbitrary, solitary tasks. Just reading it made me shiver. Who on earth would want to spend all their time on arbitrary, solitary tasks! I read that out loud to someone. The solitary tasks actually sounded appealing to her. She is an introvert; I am an extravert. Introverts tend to find their energy depleted by spending much time with others, even when they like those others. Extraverts tend to find their energy depleted by being alone too much.[2]
I am reminded yet again not to judge or assume that everyone thinks or feels as I do. All I ask is that others also not judge or assume that I should obviously think or feel as they do. The differences in how we take in information, how we see the world, how we make decisions, and how important deadlines are to us—among many other qualities—are gifts. For those who are followers of Jesus, how we make use of them within the Body of Christ and for the world is what is most important. Vive la difference!

1 Corinthians 12:7
To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.




[1] http://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2015/05/the-definition-of-hell-for-each-myers-briggs-personality-type/
[2]  You will notice that I used the word “tend” in describing both introverts and extraverts. We all have both qualities of introversion and extraversion; one simply tends to be predominant over the other.   Over the years, I have even found persons who answered “no” to the last question (see above).

No comments: