Thursday, June 11, 2015

Checkups

I cannot say that I really enjoy having blood work done, but I go every six months to see my oncologist and have my blood drawn. It is worth the bother and the discomfort to see where I am three-and-a-half years after cancer surgery. Today, my oncologist and I chatted about several aspects of life, including each of our sons who graduate from high school next week. While she is interested in the numbers generated by my blood work and she does a physical exam as well, she also wants to be aware of what else is going on in my life. Thus far, all my draws and exams have shown that I am doing well post surgery and treatment. And today, I got a purple wrap around my arm as a reward.

I cannot say that I really enjoy doing statistical reports and entering numerical data on everything that the church does, but, like my oncology checkups, they do give a picture of how we are doing on some aspects. The numbers can tell us some things, but it is in those closer conversations with each other that we can get a deeper sense of our vitality and well-being.

This Sunday—June 14, we are going to have one of those conversations that give us a chance to know where we are, where we are going, and how we hope to get there. I hope that you plan to be in worship, and then stay over for lunch and our conversation. While you won’t get a purple wrap for your arm, you will have the chance to share in fellowship with each other.

[There will be childcare, supervised activities, and food for the kids while the adults and youth are in the sanctuary.]




Psalm 63:5-7
My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips when I think of you on my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.


No comments: