Thursday, July 9, 2015

Island Time



Beach time is slow time, or at least it moves at its own pace. This time at the beach has certainly had a different pace.

Having been introduced to Ocracoke by a college friend, I in turn introduced Jeff to this lovely island. We always camped during our early times here. Since the main campground is part of the National Seashore, there was a semi-primitive nature to it, especially in the early days when we had to use latrines and boil our water before drinking it or cooking with it. Over the years, a few amenities were added. The cold showers still operate by a pull chain, but at least they have doors. Once the island upgraded its water system and the campground was connected, real indoor bathrooms were added. There are still no water or electrical hookups at each campsite. No generators are allowed over ten p.m. because of noise restrictions.


When the boys came along, we still came to camp almost every year. We had upgraded from a tent to a VW popup camper, then to an honest-to-goodness popup trailer. We tried one more time of tent camping in  ’06 or ‘07, but a nor’easter blew in and snapped our tent poles. We rented cottages from time to time, and stayed in various motels here on the island.

Our rhythm of life here was fairly consistent. We went to the beach early to avoid the heat, coming back in to the campsite, cottage or motel around lunchtime when we took showers and ate. When the boys were little, after nap time we would stroll around the village in the shops, getting ice cream for a treat, buy our groceries and the ever-needed ice for our cooler. In the evenings, we would talk walks on the beach. Over time, we got to know a couple of the islanders. We especially enjoyed our talks with Philip. He and Jeff would cover many topics.

The last time we came with Jeff, he did some of the activities but mainly stayed inside reading and journaling. Max and I would roam around the shops. This time, Max and I are in a cottage on Back Road. His friend Neil is with us. The guys have rented bikes and keep their own schedule mostly. The flow of my time is more gentle than ever. I walked on the beach, staying out of the water mostly because of the numerous sharks close in to the coast this year. Most evenings I go to one of the offerings on the island. On Monday, I saw A Tale of Blackbeard, a great offering by community theater. Last night, I enjoyed the songs and stories at the Ocrafolk Opry. Tonight, I will go hear Molasses Creek, a trio. I have had time to talk with our friends Philip and Lou Ann. Next time I come to this magical place, it may well be by myself, or with friends. And a new rhythm will unfold.

The picture was taken last night at the Opry during the final number, I’ll Fly Away. I don't need to fly away to find a piece of heaven. Ocracoke is one my thin places where I come to reconnect with water and rest, and spend time soaking in God’s renewing rhythms of life.


No comments: