Thursday, July 28, 2016

Young Adults Fledging

I have entered a new stage in life--an empty nest. What I learned from watching the eaglets grow this spring is that branching comes before fledging. Over the past few years, I have seen my eaglets begin to branch, first just at the edge of the nest, and then further up. They tested their wings, and took a few hopping flights until they swooped away, maybe without intending to, but they found that their wings would bear them even to the branch of another tree. 

I have also learned, though not so much from the eaglets, that after the first few flights off the nest, young adults are meant to fly off establishing their own life, staying in touch but not hovering like baby eagles who cannot provide for themselves. Step by step, they are to begin their hunt for their own life. My responsibility now is to help them remember that they are stronger than they think they are.

With joy, I celebrate their flight and pray that they will continue to grow to be the awesome young men they are. Now is my turn to practice a new flight pattern.

Isaiah 40:31
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired,

they walk and don't lag behind.

No comments: