Thursday, March 8, 2012

Listening


Listening is a really important gift. That’s one of the things that a spiritual director does—listening to what is going on in a directee’s life and listening for where God is at work. A director doesn’t lay out a path for someone to follow; rather they ask questions that may elicit insights.

Listening is not only important; it is also neglected in our lives. We don’t listen to one another very well. We are often formulating what we will say next based on our own need. There are so many times that I begin to speak before I have really heard what Max is saying, and usually I get it wrong. Or even if I get it right, it cuts him off short.

I also have a hard time listening to what God might be saying in my life. Sunday night at our Lenten Disciplines group, I was asked some questions that were hard for me to consider. They are questions that make me look at what God purposes for me at this time. I can’t say clearly what that is but I do know that God will be with me in the purpose, in the discerning, and in the future.

Jeremiah 29:11
For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.

No comments: