Thursday, January 10, 2013

Take thou the authority...


“Take thou the authority… “ Bishop Robert Blackburn’s hand pressed on my head as he said these words the night I was ordained an Elder in the United Methodist Church. I came to that night having completed my Master of Divinity degree at Duke, and having written papers and been interviewed by the Board of Ordained Ministry. I received official stamps of approval along the way so I could come to that moment of being granted authority “to preach the Word of God and to administer the holy Sacraments in the Congregation.”

An online definition of authority is “The power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience: "he had absolute authority over his subordinates." This gives a fairly standard, yet hierarchical perspective. Authority may indeed be granted from on high in a sense, but it has to be affirmed by the people with whom we live and work. I remember writing this in the very papers leading to my ordination. I wrote it because I believed it then. I believe it even more now. I have come to know it in the core of my being.

In every place I have served, I have received grace from the people with whom I have been in ministry, lay and clergy. I give thanks for these gifts over the years. At Christ Crossman, I have especially become more deeply aware that gifts grow when they are affirmed.

True authentic authority is not assuming “the power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience.” It is a grace that comes from the community. It is a weaving together of our experiences and our journeys, our tears and our laughter, our questions and our affirmations, and so much more.

“Take thou the authority,” Bishop Blackburn’s hand pressed upon my head then, and now your hands press upon my head, my hands, and hold me up. You have graced me. Thanks be to God.

No comments: