Thursday, January 24, 2013

Working With a Trainer


Today, I began working with a trainer to start getting back into shape after the layoff due to my knee surgery. I want to know how to do the exercises correctly so that I don't do harm in the process. I know that even after learning and doing them right, it is easy over time to slip into some bad habits without meaning to. It's the same with following a sensible eating plan. I know that by paying attention and working consciously at it I was able to get into better habits. Over the last fifteen months, I let it slip big time.

Some people seem much more able to keep to a discipline on their own. I find it hard to do on my own, and yet I know I am also a tough nut. I don't want to let others have too much say in my life. In a way, it's a paradox. I like being with other people. I like sharing ideas, and building a process together. The result is almost always better, I think, but, and this is a big BUT, I get antsy when someone corrects me. I don't usually tell them to mind their own business directly--after all, I was raised by a southern lady--but I will tend to go on in my own way.

Frankly, Jeff and I were a lot alike in this regard. Working on projects together could be very stressful. I had my ideas. He had his ideas. And they didn't always match. Packing the car for a trip was difficult if we did it together. My way of fitting the puzzle of suitcases and stuff together was definitely not his way. I learned to let him do it when he wanted to do it.

This is a general area or aspect of my life that I need to work on. So I will start by working with a trainer for physical fitness. Hopefully, it will eventually move to other areas of my life, bit by bit, but do remember that I said I'm a tough nut, so the process may not be very pretty. Prayers for the process are appreciated, just don't tell me, okay? :-)



No comments: