Thursday, April 4, 2013

Stepping out in Faith


I remember how my father used to tell me how important it was to ask questions. I also remember how he asked me what my goals were. That was always a tough question for me, not in the sense that I didn’t have goals, but because it was hard for me to see myself in the future, and where I wanted to be in the years ahead.

I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting and discernment on that same question over the last couple of years. It still is not an easy process for me, but I have at least formulated some process goals.

I want to weave together work I have done over the years with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, with Bowen Family Systems, with conversations I have hosted over the last few years, and now with the Courage and Renewal network. I see possibilities of how this can strengthen our ministry together at Christ Crossman in reaching to the community around us. So in May, I will begin a doctorate of ministry program in Church Leadership Excellence at Wesley Theological Seminary. There will be two intensive weeks of classes in May of this year, in January and May of 2014, and in January of 2015. I already have about 9-10 books that I have to read before May 14, 2013, writing a reflection on each of them! If I seem a bit distracted over the next few weeks, that’s why.

Going back to school after over 30 years out is a bit unnerving for me, but I have gained strength by the give and take that we share together. The leaders and members of CCUMC have challenged and encouraged me over these twelve years. Together we have grown in exploring how God is calling us. I look forward to continuing that growth together. Our risen Lord calls us to step out in faith, and sometimes in risky ways, but we do not do it alone. We dream and vision and serve together empowered by God’s Spirit.

1 John 4:17
Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness on the day of judgment, because as he is, so are we in this world.

No comments: