Thursday, March 28, 2013

Trying to Be a Bridge of Grace


Over the last several days, if you have been on Facebook, you may have noticed a blossoming of profile pictures containing a red rectangle with an equal sign in it. This is to symbolize that these persons are supporters of marriage equality regardless of sexual orientation. One young adult member of Christ Crossman wrote to ask me what the stand of the UMC is. This is a part of what I wrote in reply:

“Many, in the USA, in the UMC would take a progressive stand, but there are also many-- and also in the global church, especially in Africa and the Philippines who do not. Currently, the official stand in The Book of Discipline is not for that view. Last year at General Conference there was a resolution proposed to admit that we do not all agree on this. A coalition of conservative Americans joined with the African and Filipino delegates to defeat that resolution--which wasn't seeking actively to change the BOD, but to admit we don't agree.

“My stand is that when I don't know for absolute sure, I choose to err on the side of grace. I have been hosting sessions that I call Holy Conferencing where persons who do not necessarily agree sit at the same table for discussion that is primarily aimed at learning how to listen to one another rather than batter the other into silence because they don't agree.

“Just as I do not put bumper stickers on my car, I don't use Facebook to proclaim my positions. I have no problem with others doing it. I often cheer when I see or read statuses, and cringe when I read others. My own call is to be a bridge or a mediator.

“Our God is far larger and more gracious than most of us can conceive. We live in the in-between times: the Kingdom is among us, but not yet fully revealed. Christ is victor but the powers that be are still fighting.

“Don't give up on the UMC by any means. Keep us growing towards the fullness of God's vision for us. And when you encounter someone who does not agree with you, love them anyway. Extend them grace. Pray honestly for the best possibilities that God has for them, not for how we may want them to be. 

“I give thanks for how I see God at work in you and in your life. You and so many of the young adults (that I first knew as youth) give me great hope. You are indeed living out the call of Christ in your life. You have more opportunity to be the face and hands of Christ to more people through your life in a "secular" job than I do in the church. You are why I do what I do. You inspire me.”

No comments: