Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Pause in the Action


There are times when we need a break, a pause in the action. Today was just such a day. There was just enough snow to call off school and close many offices, but not so much that we had to get out and shovel it off. While I still did work, I did it at home without feeling pressure of a deadline.

One of the top ten laws that God gave to the covenant people was to keep the Sabbath holy, a day of rest set apart to honor God and self. Jesus reminded us that the Sabbath was made for us, not the other way around.

When I work out with my trainer, he reminds me that the pause I need between exertions is not just because I am a neophyte. We need to pause between exertions so that our bodies, down to the very fibers of our muscles, can recover. If we keep going and going, then we actually can break down those fibers. So it is with our whole beings. We need a pause between exertions so that we can recover and grow stronger.

I give thanks for this day, this pause in the action.

Mark 2:27-28
Then he said to them, “The sabbath was made for humankind, and not humankind for the sabbath; so the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.”

No comments: