Thursday, June 20, 2013

Community


I have loved the fundraisers at Flippin’ Pizza and Famous Dave’s. Of course, they have good food, but what I like is seeing so many folks I know there. It’s a real sense of community. Actually that’s one of the things I like about being in Falls Church. Almost everywhere I go, I see someone I know.

When I eat at the 4Ps, I often see Travis who started there as a waiter that Jeff and I enjoyed chatting with. He’s now a manager, and he’s a cancer survivor. When I go to the library, I see Sheila, mother to other band students. Sometimes when I eat at Famous Dave’s, I see Victor who used to come to CCUMC with his folks. He’s graduated from college and is now in graduate journalism school. I’ve run into our pediatrician at Starbucks.

I’m reminded that our mission is not just for the people who come through our doors. It’s also for the people we meet in our everyday lives whether they ever come to church or not, and even whether they are Christian or not. They are God’s children.

After eating with me at Famous Dave’s tonight where I talked to folks and then saw others in the parking lot, my older son commented that he couldn’t do my job. I love it. I get to meet and be with the people God loves. God graces me through them, and hopefully I share God’s grace with them as well.

Hebrews 13.2:
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.


No comments: