Thursday, December 26, 2013

On the Second Day of Christmas

On this second day of Christmas, my true love gives me to an amazing gift of grace that never stops giving. The light has come into the world, and darkness shall not, shall not, shall not overcome it! I say that with confidence even in the moments that I do not feel it. Thank goodness God’s mercy does not rely upon my emotions, but upon God’s own goodness.
In Sunday’s sermon, I quoted from something I had read: “The mystery of incarnation is itself a sign, pointing us toward resurrection. To stop the story at the manger mistakes the sign for the final destination.”1 God becomes one of us in Jesus to bring us more than a birthday celebration. Jesus is God-with-us in order to bring us into full relationship, unbound and set free, with God and with each other.
Also on this second day of Christmas, I get to see my family in Texas, and meet my great-nephew for the first time. As Max and I fly, I offer hopes that we can see all the blessings in our lives, and offering blessing to others.
Joyeux Noël


John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father's only son, full of grace and truth.




1 MELINDA A. QUIVIK & MARTHA E. STORTZ (2013-01-01). Abingdon Theological Companion to the Lectionary (Year A): Preaching Year A (Kindle Location 558-559). Abingdon Press. Kindle Edition.

No comments: