Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Hymn of Praise

As a part of a presentation for one of my Doctorate of Ministry classes this month, I wrote out a brief version of my theology. It is not intended to be all-encompassing or appropriate for a systematic theology course. It does express what I have deeply believed and finally came to the ability to express it through what I have learned from and with the amazing Jennifer Secki Shields, our beloved director of Christian education. Please take my expression as a hymn of praise for our God who is Three-in-One.

 Our God is Trinity--everlasting, eternal relationship of the Three-in-One--in which abides such love that seeking more to love--power of love bursting forth - waves of love continue to resound throughout 13.7 billion years of creation shaping the stars and planets, and eventually the plants and animals.
 From the dust of the stars and this earth, we were shaped and breathed into the image of this God to live in relationship with each other as reflections of the Three-in-One who made us.
 We turned away from this holy love, marring, distorting the reflection.
 God called forth a people to be witnesses and a light to shine forth to draw all peoples to this source of light--the one who is the Beginning, the Life and the Purpose.
 We continued to turn away, even though prophets and teachers called us back.
 As we have turned away, God’s love remained steadfast--In love, this One who set all creation into motion chose to come among us, be born among us, grow up among us, teach us, heal us, feed us, and offer himself for us, giving his life when we required a sacrifice--forgiving us as we demanded his death.
 Love would not be silenced, and rose to new life, calling us again into a relationship that brings healing and wholeness, a remaking of the image of this Holy Love.
 As God’s forgiven and set-free people we are now called to be a sign by living in ways that invite others into relationships that reflect the Creating, Self-giving and in-Spiriting Love that heals and redeems without limit.

Psalm 104:33-34
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
May my meditation be pleasing to God, for I rejoice in the Lord.


No comments: