Thursday, October 23, 2014

She Encroached on My Space

I already had some expectations of what I would find when I first walked in to The Church of the Resurrection building on that Wednesday for the pre-sessions of the Leadership Institute. I knew that there would be large numbers of "hosts" to welcome us, and help us find our way around. I found that I had to overcome some of my tendencies towards stubbornness, which largely come when I am feeling uncomfortable, to allow the hospitality to sink in to my spirit. 
At the very first session, I came in with little extra time to settle in since our drive to Leawood from NW Kansas city was delayed by rain and traffic. I found a place to sit where I could be with others, but allow some space around me. I chatted with other attenders around me, getting out my iPad and keyboard to take notes, beginning to feel a bit more at ease when a woman came in, talking to a few others she evidently knew. She did not sit with any of them but settled herself in the seat right next to me. Throughout the morning session, she made comments to me and spoke to me of her experiences. I worked hard to overcome my annoyance at her "audacity" to encroach upon "my" space. I responded, when appropriate, to her comments. Mostly I made myself be aware of my feelings and how they could affect my relationships in ministry. It was particularly apropos to the topic of the session: "Jesus Apprentice: Learning to Do What Jesus Did."
In that workshop, Jeff Kirby spoke of a disciple as "somebody who has a growing confidence of a growing relationship with God, to share that relationship with others—with people who are resisting evil." Through the morning, I discovered the woman next to me was a recovering alcoholic, someone who was working hard to face her own powerlessness to overcome an addiction, and had found a journey towards healing and wholeness in her relationship with God and God's people. I had to ask myself: How often do we, or more to the point, I focus on our own feelings rather than be aware that everyone brings something of darkness, or at least need, in their life? What do we do in worship at Christ Crossman that acknowledges the pain and darkness that people are dealing with, while allowing the light of Jesus to offer healing through us?


1 John 1:3-4

We declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. We are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

No comments: