Thursday, November 13, 2014

Lifted by Grace

As many of you know I have been working on a doctorate of ministry in church leadership excellence for a while. While I initially applied to the program thinking that this would be something good to lead into retirement in a few years, God as usual helped me walk backwards into the place where I am supposed to be now. All of this work--this reading, this thinking, this writing—is for now at Christ Crossman.

In many ways, it has confirmed that we have been heading in the right direction with the work we have been doing over the last several years. And in other ways, it challenges me almost to the nth degree. It forces me to take as unwavering a look as possible into how I function as a leader, how our system at C2UMC functions well, and how it misses the mark.

I was getting fed up earlier this week. It seemed as though every page read and turned brought yet more awareness of how I need to change, and how I need to lead some of that change in our system. I confess that I was having a pity party inside my head and heart, and my spirit felt weighed down.

Then I had two conversations on Wednesday. One was with a staff member with whom I could verbalize some of my realizations, and together we could reflect on what it could mean for us in ministry. Being able to share lifted the weight a bit. The second conversation was with a lay leader who was truly excited about some new initiatives. God’s grace was flowing with blessing, and my heart was lifted more.


Matthew 11:29

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

No comments: