Thursday, November 27, 2014

My Thanksgiving Litany

For my parents, they are on my mind a lot these days...
For my brother, friend of my earliest days, confidant in high school, solid love...
For my husband, who left many stories unfinished...
For my boys, who live in the depths of my heart, and yet in worlds of their own...
For Bill Brown, choir director who taught me that enunciating a consonant can make
            the temperature in a room drop 10 degrees...
For Jeanne Saunders, 12th grade English teacher who taught me about transitions
            in writing...
For Al Biddle, drama teacher who gave me a chance to use my gifts backstage...
For Mrs. Trent, chem-lab teacher who saved me from study hall teacher with whom
            I had bad “chemistry...”
For Burnt Factory UMC, my first congregation who willingly or not taught me about
            being a pastor...
For Deborah Carr, musician, colleague, friend for whom I worked hard to go deeper
            than mere platitudes...
For Lee Sheaffer, mentor, district superintendent who made gutsy appointments
            for women and couples...
For Joe Pennel, bishop who gained my reluctant trust...
For Charlene, friend of my heart, who has heard me out so many times, and helped
            me define my guiding principles...
For Valerie, friend of my heart, who is faithful and gracious...
For Christ Crossman, congregation of those who have called for the best of me,
            and been there through some very tough times...
For many more whom I hold dear, and for many who are a challenge...

I give you thanks, O God, the One in whose Creating image I am made, in whose Redeeming love I find grace, and in whose Sustaining Spirit I find hope.

1 Thessalonians 5:15-18

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

No comments: