Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Voice

Sometimes hearing the same thing in a new way can open up our understanding. I learned about a new translation recently from a member of my DMin cohort. It is The Voice: step into the story of scripture.[1] It is largely set out in the form of a screenplay. That is what intrigued me enough to get a copy. As I peruse it, I am finding wonderful images arising from the words.
I share one of those here. First is the passage as it is in the New Revised Standard Version; second as it is in The Voice. By the way, the italics are not mine; they are in the actual translation. See if you can find what intrigued me.
Ephesians 4:1-3
I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (NRSV)
As a prisoner of the Lord, I urge you: Live a life that is worthy of the calling He has graciously extended to you. Be humble. Be gentle. Be patient. Tolerate one another in an atmosphere thick with love. Make every effort to preserve the unity the Spirit has already created, with peace binding you together. (The Voice)



[1] The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

No comments: