Thursday, February 19, 2015

Grace upon Grace, Setting Us Free

Today, one of my students reflected on his experience of imposing ashes in the parking lot of his internship church. He said he knows now some of what it feels like to be homeless when people refused to look in his eyes as they rushed by. How often do we refuse to look into the eyes of another, especially when they look seedy, or when we are too busy, or don’t want to be bothered?
As I looked into the eyes of people, some of whom I did not know, to place a cross of ashes on their head, I was aware of time standing still, at least for a moment. When I helped to remind them of how much God loved them in spite of how broken they might be, I saw a child of God looking out of their eyes.
Dust to dust; ashes to ashes; grace upon grace, setting us free.

Isaiah 58:9b-10

If you remove the yoke from among you, the pointing of the finger, the speaking of evil, if you offer your food to the hungry and satisfy the needs of the afflicted, then your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noonday.

No comments: