Thursday, November 19, 2015

Grumble, Mumble, Complain

A friend recently mentioned to me that the Rule of Benedict talks about how serious a problem grumbling is. In fact, Benedict mentions murmuratio no less than twelve times as a serious threat to the community. Moses had that problem with the Hebrews as they made their way in the wilderness. Constantly, they murmured, complained, about the lack of water, about food, about almost anything.  Can’t you just hear the soft murmurings start like whispers, then grow to a breeze, then almost a howling gale? It drove Moses crazy. God didn’t like it much either.

“Grumbling works as a slowly and subconsciously working social poison. It obscures vision, drains energy, and touches the heart. This is true for ‘internal’ as well as ‘external’ grumbling. Those who internally grumble and complain can no longer see clearly and listen—because another voice is already speaking, their attention and energy is directed to something other than what is going on at the moment, and therefore they cannot do their task any longer ‘from the heart.’ External grumbling is even more damaging, because it spreads like an unregulated division of cells; we call it griping for good reason. Grumblers seek each other’s company, strengthen one another and infect others; they act like sand and poison”[1] in the community.

I know we have all done our share of grumbling, mumbling, and murmuring in our lives. It is so easy to turn to the person next to us and complain about how long the wait is, about the temperature in the room, about how much homework the teacher gives out, about almost anything. I hate waiting in lines, or being stuck in a crowd. The problem is that when I grumble, then I add to the atmosphere of anxiety. How much better for me, and for everyone around me, if I were to hold myself in silence, and pray for the people around me, if I were to look at them with God’s eyes. For me, this would be living generously. I think I am going to make this a part of my discipline going in to Advent.

1 Peter 4:9
Be hospitable to one another without complaining.
Philippians 2:14
Do all things without murmuring and arguing.



[1] Derkse Wil, The Rule of Benedict for Beginners: Spirituality for Daily Life (Collegeville, Minnesota), The Liturgical Press, 2003, p. 35.

No comments: