Thursday, March 31, 2016

Gentle Blessings

I have so enjoyed getting out in the afternoons for a nice longish walk. Today as I was turning toward home, I decided to walk through Isaac Crossman Park. It’s a cinder path that passes a playground before winding through trees. When I started on the path, I heard two small children call out a name. They stopped in their playing to watch me come nearer. I realized they thought they knew me, so when I got closer I waved and said, “Hi! We don’t know each other but I hope you are having fun.” Their mom said I looked like someone they knew. I replied that I get that a lot from people. Then she said the nicest thing: “It’s probably because you are so kind looking.”

That moment was a gentle blessing to my soul. The mom could have just nodded, but she blessed me. How often does what we say bless someone? In this season of so many ugly words and actions, the gift of blessing others in our encounters is a needed antidote. Finding ways to build people up rather than cut them down doesn’t take a lot of time or energy, but I’m sure it gladdens God’s heart.

Proverbs 15:1
A soft answer turns away wrath,

but a harsh word stirs up anger.

No comments: