Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Path and a Calling

Today, I handed what I hope is the final form of my DMin project paper to my reader. I set up
the required public presentation. I even called about ordering my graduation regalia. It has been a long road in some ways, one that I never imagined I would take. While I have always enjoyed learning and growing, for thirty-two years I said I would never go back to school where I was graded. And yet I did—thirty-three years after completing my master’s degree. In a little over two months now, it looks as though I will make another walk as a graduate.

Some folks have asked what I plan to do with my degree. In reality, I will be doing the same thing with my Doctorate of Ministry that I have done with my Master of Divinity degree: seeking to be faithful to God’s call in my life to be a part of the ever in-breaking Kindom of God as a follower of Jesus. My call happens to be lived out in a particular form of ministry through Word, Sacrament, and Order in the United Methodist Church. This does not make my call higher or lower than any other call from God. Brother Lawrence washed dishes and swept floors to the glory of God.


I love one of the gentle moves we make during our time of Embodied Prayer on Wednesday mornings. After a three-fold action reminding us of being in relationship with our God whom we know as Three-in-One, we stretch our arms out in front of us as though forming a path. It is a path of which we can see only a step or two, but it is the path in which we are called to follow and lead. That is true for each one of us. This is my call and my path. What is your call and the path to which God is leading you? You have one as well. And it is holy.

No comments: