Friday, July 6, 2007

Anyone Can Cook!


That's a key phrase in the new movie Ratatouille from Pixar. That was the contention of the famous chef Auguste Gusteau (in the movie). But then he clarifies that by saying that anyone can cook, but only a few are great. It reminds me of something my mother used to say about cooking and sewing: "anyone who can read, can sew (cook)." I took her at her word since she taught me both cooking and sewing. Neither task seemed too difficult to me. Then I met a colleauge who used to sew as a teenager. After a year as an exchange student, mainly speaking French, she said that somehow her brain had changed and she could no longer sew, try as she might.

I think that anyone with a modicum of reading ability, spatial reasoning and a bit of dexterity can "cook" and "sew," but not everyone has the true gift. What does that mean in terms of the spiritual gifts ( 1 Corinthians 12 & Romans 12)? Not everyone has the same gift of healing, preaching, teaching, etc., but there is a greater gift--LOVE. Is this gift of love given to everyone? I would think so, but I'm not sure that everyone opens themself to the full expression of the gift.

The colony of rats in the movie couldn't really cook on their own, but they did discover that led by a "master cook" they did indeed learn to "cook." Maybe we can't love all on our own, but led by the "master lover" we can indeed learn to love!

No comments: