Thursday, February 10, 2011

God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise


Years ago a woman I knew had a standard response about any upcoming event: she’d be there, “God willing and the creek don’t rise.” While there was a bit of humor in her response, she really meant it. Back then I confess that it sounded on the pessimistic side to me.

I’ve had a few more experiences since then and now know that often the creek does rise, in a manner of speaking. I am far more aware of the very real possibility that my plans can go awry in any number of ways. I put an event on my calendar with the full intention of honoring it, and growing up in my family, that means that it will be honored if at all possible. There are times, however, that subsequent events come up and my calendar intentions get shot to pieces. Sometimes those unexpected disruptions come because of my boys, sometimes my husband, sometimes my work, and sometimes other circumstances.

Keeping in mind that one of my guiding principles is that “their lack of planning does not become my emergency,” there are times that there is a genuine emergency or a necessary interruption. Another guiding principle I’m working on is my level of reactivity. While I may feel like jumping down the throat of who- or whatever has disrupted my plans, I find it often to be a chance to take a deep breath and reflect on where God’s grace is evident, or on how I might be an evidence of God’s grace in this instance. I cannot foresee how God may well use this situation to bring about good.

So God willing and the creek don’t rise, I’ll be there to do what I said I’d do, but if the creek does rise then may I have the grace to wait for the good that God will bring about.


Romans 8:26, 28

Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along… That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. [The Message]

No comments: