Thursday, February 17, 2011

Letters


Letters can be either a quaint relic of past times or a vivid glimpse into someone’s life. The Sisters in Spirit just finished reading and discussing a recent book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. As Marybeth told us, it’s an epistalotory novel—one that’s written entirely in the form of letters. It’s a delightful read that gives a glimpse into life on a Channel Island occupied by the Germans during WWII, and shortly thereafter.

Part of the discussion was about letters and how much they have meant in our lives. Some have saved letters sent to them when they were younger. Others have letters exchanged between their parents or grandparents.

Personally, I found that when I used to write letters I tended to put a whole lot more of my inner thoughts into them than I intended. It was actually a bit unnerving to me because I felt so much more vulnerable. Even my family Christmas letters tend to be on the introspective side, so Jeff often has to edit them a bit.

Paul, who wrote letters to instruct, encourage and reprimand, told the Corinthians that they were his letters to the world. If I am a letter written by Christ, not with ink but with God’s living Spirit, then what message do I give to those I meet? Do I really give a glimpse of how God is working within me? Does the essence of my life convey God’s grace and mercy? Is God’s justice evident in the lines of my life? What will my children know about God by how they can read my life? It makes me pause and consider.  What about you?

No comments: