Thursday, May 26, 2011

Guiding Principles


I have mentioned guiding principles before. It can be tough to actually say what one’s guiding principles are. Often we simply adopt what we have been taught or what we have experienced, but until they go through the crucible of our own reasoning and experience they will be like hand-me-down clothes that may or may not fit us well. This past week, I encountered some things that struck me as guiding principles, if not of the person who sent or posted them, then of the person who wrote them.

Judy Brown sent me these three aspects of humility from Dallas Willard:
1.     Never pretend we are or are not somebody other than who we are
2.    Never presume that we deserve anything or that anybody else deserves anything
3.    Never push to make things happen. Act and let go of the results.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook: “Tip from leadership class: When presented with a problem/issue Accept it, change it or move on.”

These two reminded me of The Serenity Prayer penned by Reinhold Neibuhr in the 1930s: “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”

In a way, all of these represent guiding principles that can help keep a person centered and grounded.

Here are some stabs at my guiding principles:
·      Don’t call people names.
·      Every person deserves to be treated with respect, even if I don’t like them.
·      God desires what is best for each person, and I certainly don’t know what that best is.
·      Take time to think it through. Don’t react on the spot.
·      Regardless of status in the eyes of the world, each person is equally created in the image of God, which means not holding them higher or lower in regard than myself.
·      Your lack of planning does not become my emergency.
·      I choose to love.


Matthew 6:33
But strive first for the kingdom of God and God’s righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

No comments: