Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Horns of a Dilemma


Ooooh, this has been one of those weeks where the feelings and the reasonings can be at loggerheads. I awoke on Monday morning to the news that Osama bin Laden had been shot and killed, and buried at sea. All in the flash of a moment, I felt relief that the search was over, anxiety that vengeful reprisals would begin anew and understanding why the burial at sea had taken place so quickly.
I scanned the early morning photos of spontaneous celebrations in front of the White House and at Ground Zero. I was amazed at, but then not surprised by the youth of those who gathered. Surely many of them were only in elementary school for 9/11. That means that the bulk of their lives has been lived under the cloud of terrorism and war. After this catharsis, maybe some will dedicate their lives to living justly even in the face of terror.
I heard snatches of TV news programs as Jeff watched—some commentators were irate that US taxpayers’ dollars went to Pakistan whose government “surely knew” were bin Laden was holed up. And as usual, the greatest bulk of airtime was given over to our “peeping-Tom” voyeurism of seeing how 9/11 victims’ families were reacting. I was thankful when he turned the TV off.
On Facebook, I have read a whole gamut of reactions—from elation to dismay, along with many prayers for peace. Some called this a “murder;” others called it a “fair dog-fight.” Some called it justice; others a continuation of killing that leads to more killing. One friend quoted Jimi Hendrix: ‎"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Another quoted Ezekiel 33:11.
All I can say “thank God” that real, final justice is left in God’s hands. I certainly wouldn’t know how to “vote” on this one. All I know is that the only possible changes I can make are in myself, so how do I live to make God’s reign of justice and mercy evident? And how do I live in the face of those who hate me so that they can still see God’s love for them reflected in my life? These are not soft “bleeding-heart,” “hippie” questions but very tough decisions on how to live.

Ezekiel 33:11
Say to them, As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from their ways and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel?

No comments: