Saturday, August 27, 2011

Family


Two weeks with various configurations of family have been wonderful. In Alabama, Max and I were able to be with all of my first cousins, and their children, on my mother’s side. We also saw my aunt and uncle, my mother’s sister and brother. In Nashville we got to visit with my Great-Aunt Annie Sue who will be 102 in October. She is amazing.
The real surprise at almost the last minute was the chance to see one of my father’s nephews, Steve, whom I had not seen since I was about 6 years old. Steve lives in Seattle, but had been working in NC. We spent Monday morning getting to know each other while visiting some gravesites, and places where family had lived, including the site of our great-great-grandparents’ brickyard.
Max discovered writing on Steve & my great-great-grandfather Joseph Hauerwas’ gravestone. Born in Germany, he came to America as a child with his family. Within a couple of years of immigrating, his parents died weeks apart leaving the children at the mercy of an uncle who “took them in,” but also appropriated their property. Members of their church went to court to have their property returned to the children. Their uncle was also ordered to provide winter coats, a necessity for the bitter cold of Minnesota.
Family can sometimes be our genetic kin, but family can also be those who surround us with care and compassion. This summer, our actual family has surrounded us with love and care, as has the family of our church. As members of Joseph’s church came to his rescue so our church has offered us real support.

Acts 4:33-34a
With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among them.

No comments: