Thursday, August 11, 2011

Interwoven Roots


The giant sequoia is an amazing tree. While it can grow quite tall, it gets its name more from the girth of the tree. Besides its magnificent appearance, what really amazes me about this tree is its root system. Most of its roots are just under the surface, no more than four or so feet down. Think about it. These trees can grow 250 to 280 feet tall, and yet have roots that go down no more than four feet under ground. What keeps them from falling over? Well, the root system is quite wide; it can go as far as 150 feet out from the tree, but what really makes it so stable is that as it goes out it becomes interwoven with the roots of other trees. These amazing trees stand so tall because they have each other.
In theory, I have known how important it is to have a community of people in one’s life, however I have often found myself standing alone. Usually it’s because I think I shouldn’t need other people’s help--that I should be able to manage on my own, or because I don’t want to impose on others.  What I have come to experience this summer is a community as wide as the root system of the giant sequoias, and as interwoven.
All sorts of people have surrounded my young men and me, offering expressions of care that range from notes, cards and emails to meals, yard work, help with sorting, and arms to hug. These have come from people I have known for years, even decades, but also from some I have only recently met.
I stand because you stand around me. You make it possible for me to lift up my branches in praise and thanksgiving. Thank you.
Max and I fly off to spend time with family this month. I will send missives from the hinterlands of the Texas hill country. And I will see you in September.

Isaiah 55:12
For you shall go out in joy, and be led back in peace; the mountains and the hills before you
shall burst into song, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. Thank you for posting. Coincidentally, Ben, the kids, and I are going to see the sequoias for the first time next week. We'll certainly be thinking of you and the beautiful metaphor!