Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pruning


I have been reading Bearing Fruit: Ministry with Real Results and discussing it on Facebook with some colleagues. As we read the part about the pruning that is necessary, I was reminded of times in my ministry when even fruitful vines were pruned. It was always painful and I couldn’t see the results immediately, but eventually I could begin to see new fruit.
In my gardening, sometimes I am led to prune back a tree or shrub extensively so that it looks a bit bare, but the next season it usually begins to grow vigorously. If it were left to grow completely in its own way, it could have a beautiful wildness to it, but it wouldn’t necessarily work well with its neighbors. I’m not talking about making a manicured landscape of such precision that a single errant branch ruins the whole look, but about encouraging the most fruitful and beautiful growth possible.
In this season of my life, I am taking stock of what is necessary for growth, and comfort, but also of what things can go, or need to go. I could just keep all of the stuff Jeff and I accumulated over the years, and keep walking in the same paths around the house, but I don’t want to stagnate. I want to continue to grow and be fruitful so that means using a critical eye, a bit of trimming—not too much (especially for the boys’ comfort), and having trust in God’s guidance for the fruit that lies ahead.


John 15:1-2
”I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. 2He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit.

No comments: