Thursday, August 22, 2013

Guest Post: Jeremy Koontz: How does God call me out of my comfort zone in order to bear fruit?


While I am visiting family, I have asked our "guest" preachers to reflect on a particular question:
How does God call me out of my comfort zone in order to bear fruit? The reflection will be a guest post here.
Asking ourselves what God wants of us can easily be answered with, "what I already do now, of course" but what if there is something more?  As a fledging married person, my initial response to how God is challenging me was to bless people with friendship and hospitality in my new home.  Sounds good, right?  Well, maybe that is an okay start but it seems like something is missing.  In my case, I do good works and for all intensive purposes am a decent person.  People look favorably upon me like a innocent puppy or a flashy popular TV show.  Sometimes strangers say nice things about me for no apparent reason.  All these things mean I'm okay with God, right?  Having to even ask the question seems to suggest the opposite.  Lately, I have let many friendships linger when I could have called or sent a letter.  I have witnessed injustice within arms reach and stood by idly.  I have prayed and read God's word, yet not made a dwelling for the Risen One in the seat of my consciousness. I've kept my Christian identity secret and felt ashamed to even mention the name of Jesus. I have sinned greatly, my family, forgive me.  
The first step to forgiveness is not receiving absolution, rather, it is to confess!  When we confess, we awaken to the divine reality that God is capable of forgiveness. God can change the power of the seas and turn darkness into light.  As a fast-food culture, we honestly don't prepare enough time for confession; we don't let it sink in.
One of my favorite manservant jobs to do around the apartment is to cook.  One thing I've learned is to appreciate spices and allow them to have its time to properly sink into the meat.  Strangely enough, I think a similiar logic in confession applies in cooking. Think of reflection, prayer, and confession as the divine spices and our hearts are the unprepared raw meat (I'm thinking of a red New York Strip steak, and you?). If you throw the steak on the grill right away, it's going to taste so-so but it's worlds away in how good it can be.  Likewise, when we confess, perhaps we really need to take a time-out and be alone with a journal or confide in a mentor about how you feel God is distant in your life.  
I have already begun doing this and I must say, I am greatly relieved.  The experience is like being released from ignorance and having a new perspective on joy and pleasure; its more synonymous with rejuvenation as opposed to self-consumption.  Jesus is known for refering to discipleship as being flavorful like salt.  "You are the salt of the earth" He says, and I think that is a way of saying that true Christian spirituality can bring much needed seasonings like life and joy to a community and a nation--if we learn to be more salty.
 

Blessings,
Jeremy Koontz
Guest Contributor

No comments: