Thursday, November 3, 2011

Friends


Friends

So often, I think I have to do it on my own, contrary to the evidence all around me. I may be a slow learner about this but not only am I surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses—the communion of saints who have gone before me--I am surrounded by a great crowd who witness to me of God’s gracious embrace.

I know that my calling and profession put me out in front in many ways, but I have always felt that I am really a back-stage person like I was in high school, working with Jeanette to get the costumes all ready for the performers. And so, I am almost always surprised when it is apparent that someone “sees” me, and then reaches out to me. I am reminded of Hagar in the wilderness with her son Ishmael She thought they would die in the wilderness but God heard, redeeming their lives.

I know that God sees and hears me. You are the evidence of that. I give thanks for the “drink of water” you offer me.




Genesis 21:17
And God heard the voice of the boy; and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven, and said to her, “What troubles you, Hagar? Do not be afraid; for God has heard the voice of the boy where he is.”

No comments: