Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mercies in Disguise


The Psalmists were really good at telling it like it is. When they were happy, they praised God. When they were mad, they railed at God; then they praised God. When they were sad, they rolled in it; then they praised God. When they were forgetful, they remembered their history; and then they praised God. When they thought God was forgetful, they reminded God who they were; then they praised God.

Over the past few weeks, I have been a bit mad, a bit sad, a bit forgotten. I have railed; I have rolled; and I have reminded. I have agreed with Teresa of Avila who said to Jesus, "If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you don't have too many."

And then in the midst of it all, I have remembered God's faithfulness. God never promised that life would be smooth sailing, or a piece of cake. God promised to be with me through it all, and so God is faithful.

A song that just came out this past spring, Blessings by Laura Stories, says, "What if trials in this life are your mercies in disguise?"

At 11 a.m. on 11/11, I will have a lumpectomy to remove an invasive ductal carcinoma in my left breast. It is small and slow growing, only a Stage 1. The MRI indicates that it is the only one on either side. A mercy in disguise? A chance to trust Gods faithfulness.

Railing, rolling, reminding, but also praising. God is faithful, and God is with me.


Psalm 27:1     
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
   of whom shall I be afraid?

No comments: